Friday, January 23, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday, Jacob

Last Sunday our family celebrated another milestone. Our Jacob is one year old.

How fast this past year has flown by. Seems like just the day before yesterday that I was holding this little baby in my arms, and now he is a whole year older. He spends his time walking, discovering new things, smiling a lot and getting into mischief, just as he is supposed to do. The mischief part is his job. He does that for me. I love it when his father calls me and tells me something new that Jacob has gotten into. Takes me back to hauling his father out of many things that he wasn't supposed to get into, either.

Again the family gathered and it was such a nice day. David made lasagna for all (pretty good, too), and we ate and enjoyed each other's company. Some I hadn't seen for quite some time, and it was good to visit and get caught up on the news.

Boston and Maddie, who are taking dance classes now, wanted to show off their new found talents. So some grandparents went to their room for a short recital. How fun to watch them leap and twirl. The exuberance of children their ages is wonderful. I hope they never lose that zest for life.



We went to the family room for the birthday present opening. Jacob did a fine job of ripping wrapping paper and trying out new toys. He had some help from his sisters, and it looked like he was enjoying every minute of it. I think he really likes this birthday present thing. Probably will want to do it again next year.





There was birthday cake waiting in the kitchen, and it was such fun to watch Jacob's reaction. He was sitting in his highchair when his mother approached him with his own cake with one candle on the top. Jacob's face lit up like someone had turned on the switch to a powerful light. His eyes fairly sparkled. As he hasn't quite got the blowing out the candle thing down just yet, the girls helped him with that part, and then he dug into his cake. Both hands. Smearing frosting. Having a grand time.

http://www.4shared.com/file/82162226/234475be/Jacobs_1st_birthday.html

The rest of us enjoyed cake, eaten with forks (why we adults aren't allowed to have as much fun with cake as Jacob did, I just don't know), ice cream and coffee. We talked of many things and the conversation was good.

As I sat at the table, I thought of how lucky Jacob is to have three grandmothers, one grandfather and one great-grandmother, all of whom love him so very much. I also thought of his two grandpas who weren't here to enjoy the party. But perhaps they were. I can't imagine that either would want to miss it. I like to believe that both were watching from Heaven and enjoying the party as much as the rest of us.

Happy Birthday, Jacob.

Love, Grandma


No comments: