Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Jacob's Surgery

David called a couple of weeks ago to tell me that Jacob needed surgery. It seems that there was a cyst near one of Jacob's kidneys, and the surgeon they saw told them that it needed to be removed.

There is a feeling of helplessness that occurrs when a child so small has to go through something like this. He is only 5 weeks old. As a grandma, all I can do is stand by and pray. I asked David if he wanted me to be there for the surgery. He said that he didn't think I needed to be. I think if I had had transportation, I would have gone anyway. But I don't, so I went to work. Sometimes it helps to keep busy. It didn't. I looked at the clock so many times, and the hands on that clock just seemed to stand still. So I prayed. And prayed some more.

When the surgery was over, David called to tell me that everything had gone well and that my grandson was OK. I think I sort of fell apart for a moment. David felt bad for making me cry. He didn't. It was sheer relief that Jacob was out of danger.

It is amazing, this power of love for a grandchild. He has been in this world only a short time, and yet I love him so very much. The thought of anything bad happening to him, or to any of my grandchildren, for that matter, is more than I can bear. They give me such joy. I feel so good whenever I see any of them. They are a part of me and I love them all more than I can describe.

Thank you, God, for keeping them safe for me.



http://www.4shared.com/file/38689395/d455dd38/23_feb_2008.html

No comments: