Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Boston's New Glasses

Our Boston got her new glasses this week. Her Dad shared the pictures with me. She looks so nice in them, and I am really glad that she likes wearing them. Maddie was beginning to feel a little bit left out in the picture taking, so her Dad took some pictures of her wearing her sunglasses.







I am not surprised that one of my grandchildren needs help to see clearly. Weak eyes run in my family. All of my children got glasses at relatively young ages. My siblings and I all wear glasses. So did my parents. I would not be surprised if eventually all of my grandkids will need them.


When Boston's uncle Duane got his first glasses, he promptly lost them. I believe he might have lost the second pair as well. It wasn't until a few years ago that he told me that he lost those glasses by digging a hole in a flower bed and burying them. Kids can be pretty inventive when they don't want to do something, like wear glasses.


I remember when I got my first pair. I was in the third grade of elementary school. My teacher alerted my parents to the fact that I was having trouble reading what was written on the blackboard, so off to the eye doctor I went. I can still remember walking out of that office the day I got my new glasses to discover that trees weren't just a trunk with a big green blur at the top. There were individual leaves that made up the green part of the trees, and I could see each one. Flowers were not blobs of color, but had petals and were different one from another. I could read street signs and numbers on license plates on the cars. Amazing. I think that it was so much fun for me to be able to read a book without having to hold it inches from my nose to see the words, that I have never minded wearing glasses.


So enjoy your new specs, Boston. Not only are they a fashion statement, but there is a whole big, beautiful world out there, and you can see it all now.

No comments: